UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
For every child, protection
UNICEF is supporting the Government of China in reducing the knowledge gap around child abuse in China. We are working with partners to undertake a national Violence against Children Survey (VACS), which seeks to provide population-based data on the prevalence of physical, emotional, sexual violence and neglect experienced by children in China, as well as identify risks and protective factors and health consequences of violence.
To support in the work, we are looking for an intern to join the team for a duration of 3 months starting 1 October or even earlier. The intern would be expected to work in the UNICEF office in Beijing for 2-3 days a week.
How can you make a difference?
You will help in the preparation of the Violence Against Children Survey (VACS) and provide other programmatic support to the Child Protection team, as needed. Your key responsibilities include:
• Assist in the preparation of VACS by translating from Chinese to English and by proofing of the English translation of key documents including research protocols, questionnaires, methodologies, implementation guidelines, response plans and training manuals
• Summarize child protection relevant materials, including policy documents, research reports, and technical documents, in both English and Chinese, and provide briefs, as required.
• Provide interpretation assistance to extremal meetings and workshops
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
• Completed undergraduate studies or with current enrolment or recent graduation from a graduate program, preferably in English Translation Studies, orin social science or development studies
• Previous internship or social science research experience is desired
• Fluency in English and Chinese
• Good communication and teamworking skills
For every Child, you demonstrate…
• Respect for UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, and Integrity
• A drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills and capacity to work in a multicultural environment
If you recognise yourself from the above and wish to make a difference for every child, please apply online through www.unicef.org/employ (requisition 515959). The deadline for receipt of applications is 12 Sept 2018. Academic certificates or references, and proof of medical insurance will be collected at a later stage from shortlisted applicants. Please note that this is an unpaid internship; while providing valuable professional experience, it does not come with monetary compensation.